Thursday, November 12, 2009

You can pick your friends...

but you can not pick you relatives. Last night we went out to dinner with Atlas's family. His whole family, brother, sister-in-law, mother, father, grandfather, grandmother, aunt, and two uncles, cousin, and two neices, myself and our children. Atlas's mother saed us 2 seats at the end of the table however our daughter wanted to sit by her cousins and I needed a place to put a high chair. So maybe they saved us a seat, but maybe she intentionally saved us a seat that we couldn't sit at. Who knows. So as dinner goes, we all order and Atlas goes down to sit by his mother for what he tells me will be a minute. So there I am high chair on one side of me, young cousin on the other, across the table is my 4 year old and my two neices. As I look atround the table I realize, yes I have just been seated at the kiddie table. Cool. Thanks. So dinner is served and Atlas' wings are delivered to him next to his mother. Fine, I will sit down here and feed the baby and help our daughter. So two hours passes, Atlas' aunt comes over and sits next to me. She asks me how everything is going, what the kids want for christmas, small talk, and I try not to be short. Everyone is finally getting up to go home and not one person says hello, goodbye, or go fuck yourself. Atlas apoligizes for sitting at the other end of the table, says it wasn't his intention. I mildly say thanks for letting me sit at the kiddie table, and he says, "you weren't at the kids table". I cock my head to the side and give him the "are you kidding look". He looks at me and says "well I guess you were, I'm sorry I suck as a husband" and slams the car door shut. "You don't suck." I cross my arms, my feelings were hurt. I left school to come home so I could go to his family's get together and not one of them... minus his aunt... who none of them can stand mind you... says hello. As I am sitting in the car, tears stream down my face, Atlas doesn't notice. I finally tell him what is wrong. I said , no one said hello to me, not one person even had a conversation with me. I've been married to his family for 5 years, the least they could do is act like im family. Maybe they are. Maybe that's just how they are... My family would never ever treat Atlas like that. Never. I was hurt. Atlas was hurt that I was hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment