Tuesday, November 8, 2011

TMI Tuesday: Conspicuous Luxury

TMI Tuesday: Conspicuous Luxury


This week’s TMI Tuesday was the idea of http://virtualsin.wordpress.com/

Jack's Answers

1. Do you have a set of dishes that are used for special occassions (e.g. china)? Yes or no. If yes, how often do you use the special dishes?
a. any day because every day is special
b. once a week
c. only for holidays and celebration
d. never, it is displayed in a china cabinet or collecting dust in a box in the attic

No Special dishes here. I have small children and they are not practical. We did not have a big wedding... as I may have mentioned before we just kind of ran off and got married on our own. I have 3 separate sets of dishes and for special occasions such as holidays when I am feeding 20+ people at a time, it is usually a hodgepodge of different dishes and silver.

2. Do have clothes that you never wear because you are saving them for a special occasion? What is that item of clothing? What would be the appropriate occasion?
Again, not really. I am a very basic jeans and t-shirt, or sweat shirt kind of girl. Its pretty rare that I get dressed up or save a specific piece of clothing for an occasion. I have in the past attended many balls and events where floor length gowns were appropriate so I have had them in my closet, but usually after 1 wear they move on.

3. If you suddenly became very wealthy, which servants would you employ?
a. cleaning service
b. housekeeper
c. cook
d. valet/maid/lady-in-waiting
e. chauffeur
f. dog-walker
g. other
I have spoke with Atlas in the past of hiring a housekeeper just because I was almost too busy at the time to keep up. That would probably be one of the first people that I would hire. I would hire a nanny too. God love my children but sometimes I need a break and a nanny would be awesome. I would hire a cook for some things but I still enjoy cooking so maybe that would be a part time investment. I don't ride around in cars too much so a chauffeur would be a waste of time, and my dogs walk themselves ;)

4. If you were wealthy, how many homes would you own? Where? (locations–mountains, tropical places for the winter, foreign country/city)

I find this question kind of amusing for the simple fact I just bought my second house... which is on the beach. My first home is out in the country on a nice plot of land and is a large log cabin... so It seems as though although I am not wealthy... I have all the homes I need for right now. When Atlas and I leave the beach I am sure we will buy another home at our next location... for us, with dogs and kids, it is easier and cheaper to buy a home than find someone who is willing to rent to us.

5. If you were going to take on a really expensive hobby, which of these would it be?
a. buy an airplane
b. buy a yacht
c. buy a small winery
d. raise exotic animals
Hm, an expensive hobby. I love to hunt and fish so I would probably go with something like that. Travel and hunt and fish in new locations... and yes that gets expensive. A trip up to Alaska to hunt Elk or Moose can cost upwards of 10K... a tuna charter to go out for the CHANCE to catch a bluefin tuna in Massachusetts can cost up to 1000 dollars for 6 hours. So... although I would love to travel I need something to actively be doing and seeing while traveling and getting out into nature and truly appreciating it for what it is would be my hobby of choice.

6. What kind of car would you buy if you had an unlimited budget?
a. expensive sports car
b. luxury car
c. monster truck
d. expensive hybrid or electric car
e. cheap car (I’d be too nervous driving an expensive car).
f. something for the chauffeur to drive me around in
Again, I kind of chuckled. I just bought my car of choice this past year, I have a 2011 yellow and white 2SS Camaro. I love it ! I also have 2 practical everyday use vehicles, a big pick up and an SUV... So I think I would stick with the cars I already have. Maybe trade the 2011 Camaro in for the 2012 ZL1 Camaro... maybe I would do that without unlimited funds though ;)

Bonus: Currently, what is your favorite luxury item or decadent thing that you do?
I am not sure. I enjoy the car... but probably my house. Its Atlas and I's dream house and there is very few things that I would trade it in for. I am very happy with the things that I have, I am not too much for luxury but every once in awhile I enjoy nice things.

2 comments:

  1. I see you copied and pasted from our blog. :)

    I don't know how we neglected to mention a nanny in our list of servicepeople we'd hire. We're not obscenely wealthy, but a nanny to occasionally help out with our daughter (who is far from a handful) has become of my most extravagant fantasies.

    You are the second blogger we've read who wanted to hunt and/or fish in different locations. I like that idea; we considered going outside of the suggested hobby choices, but given our diverse interests we would probably have taken forever to answer question #5 completely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, I did copy from your blog, Its funny I didn't even notice until you said that then I read it again and saw "jack's answers" Ooopps.

    ReplyDelete